Notable Individuals

Mark Tobey (1890-1976),

famous artist, dedicated and devout Baha'i, was gay. His life and work were commemorated.. More

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Witness to Change?

I am happy to note that the last couple of stories seem to reflect a change, at least in some quarters, in the approach of gay Baha'is to their dilemma. It is true that some are leaving, and for many that seems to be the best choice, and it is also true that some choose to remain members of the Baha'i Faith, while being out and open as gays, and to commit to work for change in whatever way they can within the Faith. They are taking the bull by the horns, so to speak (my interpretation) and continue to be active in the Baha'i Faith as open, proud gay Baha'is. I think this is great, and I wish them well. I myself have resigned my membership as a Baha'i over this issue, and I am entirely in sympathy with those who have chosen to leave, but I have not lost my Faith, and I am hopeful that younger Baha'is, full of hope and energy, will continue to stand up as proud and gay within the Faith, supporting each other, and that the Faith will evolve toward a better understanding of what it means to be Baha'i and gay, and truly embrace the diversity of the human race. The criminalization of homosexuality within the Baha'i Faith needs to change, and I have hope that it will, with the help of young gay Baha'is who are out and proud.
August 30, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterBarb