Notable Individuals

Mark Tobey (1890-1976),

famous artist, dedicated and devout Baha'i, was gay. His life and work were commemorated.. More

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Baha'is Speak on Homosexuality

Click on the "Barb" page, and scroll down to "Baha'is Speak on Homosexuality."
February 11, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterBarb
Some of the people reading this collection of quotes on homosexuality might wonder why I published them. There are two reasons:

1. I made a commitment to others that I would do so, and this fulfils that commitment.
2. I think it is important that Baha'is, as well as non-Baha'is, know the true nature of Baha'i teachings regarding homosexuality, so that they understand the nature of the stance they are expected to support, or of the stance with which they feel compelled to contend.

It's not a pretty picture, I understand that, and I have worried that some who read here might be cast into despair as I was when I connected the dots. I knew the nature of the Baha'i teachings on this subject, indeed this website was intended to mitigate the nature of those teachings and to support gay Baha'is and their friends/families as they try to reconcile their lives to these teachings or to move on. However, stripping away all the nice words (and there are lots of them) made the ugliness of the Baha'i stance on this subject stand out so clearly that it made me ill. I do apologize if it has been painful for others to read this collection, According to Baha'i teachings, however, the first step to solving a problem is to identify the problem clearly. This collection is an attempt at such an identification. Which side of the fence others decide to land on, and whether they support or contend, or avert their eyes from reality, is for them to decide. But if you've read the collection, you can't pretend you don't know.

I would like to remind those who need support that discussion among gay/lesbian Baha'is and their supporters has largely moved to other venues, and the LGBT Baha'is and Allies Facebook page (a closed group - you have to request to join), and BUD (Baha'is United in Diversity), which is an open Facebook group, are both groups where homophobic comments are not allowed and open discussion is encouraged. The LGBT group is, of course, the more private of these two. I have recently rejoined BUD, and am a member of the LGBT Baha'is and Allies page as well. If you haven't checked out these pages and are looking for discussion, you might want to do so. We will continue to publish new stories here, as they come in.
February 20, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterBarb