Notable Individuals

Mark Tobey (1890-1976),

famous artist, dedicated and devout Baha'i, was gay. His life and work were commemorated.. More

Powered by Squarespace

Discussion > Is my friend¬†untrustworthy?

Bahaullah said in Gleanings CXIV pargraph 3: "Know thou for a certainty that whoso disbelieveth in God is neither trustworthy nor truthful."
So I wonder if that includes my friend M. who is an atheist. M. is a wonderful soul, a new father, great family man and a straight guy who upholds equality for all including his LGBT friends. He is the perfect example of a God-fearing person, except he doesn't believe in God. So do I trust Bahaullah that my friend is dishonest, or do I understand the paragraph in the context it was written and maybe Bahaullah means something completely different? I choose to believe in the latter. Why? Because the principles of the Faith regarding non-prejudice, regarding equality, etc go completely against believing the former.
So what does this have to do with the gay issue? A lot! It shows how when we take the literalist approach and forget the principles of this Faith, then the Faith ceases to exist. That is what the fundamentalist minded individuals in the Bahai community have done by taking the literalist approach in regards to homosexuality and so many other issues in the Faith; and not even literalist approach to Bahaullah's own words, but rather to the words of secretaries of Shoghi Effendi!
If Bahais choose to believe that homosexuality is an immoral "lifestyle" and nothing more; then they must also believe that all atheist are dishonest people. They tell us we can't pick and choose the laws, so I tell them you can't pick and choose your literalist interpretations.
July 30, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterPeyam
Amen to this! Trust, indeed, that Baha'u'llah did mean something completely different.
July 31, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterBarb
Thank you for posting this, Peyam ! Fundamentalist Christians can prove any point of view they want to, no matter how glaringly at variance with spiritual principles, through their narrow (literal) reading of the Bible. The same is being done by the majority of Baha'is, who condemn as "spiritually sick" and "immoral" a significant portion of the diverse human family based on guidance given in a time and social condition where for the Guardian or his secretaries to have said otherwise would have been unacceptably inflammatory and well outside mainstream thought in psychological and even scientific circles. My work is in the gay community, and I am a proud member of that community. I know in my heart that as long as the Baha'i community continues to exclude, marginalize and actively discriminate against ("oppress" might be a better word) the vibrant and spiritually alive gay community, they are dashing into a thousand pieces the spiritual principles which are the pillars of the Kingdom of God. By their own hands, they rip apart the fabric of World Order.
July 31, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDan Ware
Its very simple mates.
(1)If the LSA/NSA are going to revoke your voting rights -- you just dont tell them about your private life.
(2)You make sure you follow the laws of God as well as you can.
(2b)in a survey of 1000 homosexual men in sanfransisco it was found that 10% reported having more than 4000 partners in their lifetimes. Not a joke. I would say vast majority of these men now will have died of the AIDS pandemic.
which means...
(3)"We will all verily abide by the will of God"
see 2.
(4)well, I think so in any case....
August 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterSweet Boy
So Sweetboy, you advising to lie about yourself. That is what you are doing to remain an active Bahai? Isn't lying against the Bahai teachings? Fact is also that there are straight married Bahais who cheat on their spouses. Fact is that more than half of Bahai marriages in the US end up i divorce. The statistic is actually higher than the general population. So what does that mean of Bahaullah's fortress of well being if Mormon marriages are stronger than Bahai marriages? Fact is also that AIDS is no longer killing people like it used to; especially in San Francisco, because the availability of medication. These are facts, which you as a gay man should better investigate. But you as a gay man seem to enjoy living in the closet and are advising other Bahais to lie like you are lying. From what I gather, you are absolutely NOT abiding by the will of God. Cheers!
August 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterPeyam
Remember my previous warning about insincere mischief-makers...replying to S.B. only adds fuel to his fire.
August 5, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterBarb